Driven by an insatiable curiosity to what determines a current trend and how it can evolve, I look at as many angles as possible to determine which trend, color and design concepts will be relevant a year or more from now.
My competencies as a design director and trend consultant with extensive management experience include: communicating clear creative vision and inspiring direction, emphatic management and enabling creative growth.
I am known to be a results-driven teamplayer and an authentic storyteller. Being an advocate for sustainable practices is rooted in my respect for those who work so hard to make our designs come to life and in my love of nature, which is providing us with the amazing resources we can no longer take for granted.
STUDIO ANDREA MENGELBERG
Design and Trend Studio
- Design and product development
- Sustainability consulting
- Tailor-made trend research and market analysis
- Brand concept and strategy
- Knitwear specialist
Vice President, Creative Services Europe
- Founder Amsterdam creative studio Directex Inc
- Managed office, design staff and interns
- Developed seasonal sweater lines for women
- Created trend materials, knit and print concepts and product design for women, men and childrenswear
- Traveled to factories in Hong Kong/China for samples, client meetings and product development
- Presented trend presentations in the USA (Target, JC Penney, A&F, Roxy, Pac Sun), Spain (Mango, Inditex Zara, Pull & Bear, Stradivarius, Massimo Dutti) UK (Asda George) and the Netherlands (We)
- Sustainability officer ( attended the Copenhagen Fashion Summit, participated with the London College of Fashion Future Learn program)
Design Director, New York
- Sweater import and product development. Created taylor made design and trend materials in collaboration with international design and merchandising teams
- Trend presentations, design and development for companies such as Roxy, Pac Sun, Maurices, Limited Express, American Eagle Outfitters, JJill, QVC, GAP and Target
College De Meern Educational Project Scale Down Challenge
Trend research Ackermans kids
Brand Concept and Design Contemporary Label Women
Designer Men Tops
Prints, woven shirts, sweaters, t-shirts and sweats, sold by Sissy Boy, de Bijenkorf and Liberty London
- Gerrit Rietveld Academie Amsterdam, BFA Mode
- Internships: Odile Lançon, Martine Sitbon (RTW), Philippe Model (Hoeden)
- Certificate Fashion and Sustainability, London College of Fashion Future Learn
- DETEX textile certificate
Tia Kronborg Scandinavian Fashion Designer in London
Andrea’s compassionate and emphatic nature combined with her very constructive feedback and clear expectations of assignments gave me the best possible beginning of my own design career. She gave me the opportunity to voice my own opinions, manage projects and let me take on as much responsibility she thought I could handle. In doing so she let me make mistakes, offered advice on how to work in a more proficient manner and all around pushed me to become a better designer.
She knows how to present her vision in an exciting manner and is unbelievably good at working within a given price point.
Margriet Winkelmolen Fashion Designer
She is very sharp in analysing the market and has a perfect insight into the needs of specific target groups. Andrea’s technical knowledge of knitwear is impressive: she combines this with passion and good taste in her designs.
Andrea is very dedicated and a quick ‘do-er’ and always in for a good cup of coffee.
Sue Bennett Vice President at DirecTex
Andrea is a standout talent. She can take a garment from design to product development to manufacturing. I was always impressed by her ability to interact with both designers and buyers: that is a rare skill indeed and it seemed to come naturally to her. Feedback from our clients was always excellent. Andrea made sure that all design projects and meetings ran smoothly. She has earned my highest recommendation.
Freya Proudlock Freelance Costume Maker & Knitwear Designer
Andrea was a great manager and mentor. She always communicated her ideas concisely so I knew what was expected of me. She struck a perfect balance between offering constructive criticism and making me feel very valued as an employee. Her trend forecasting was particularly strong when it came to designing.
Kim Munsterman Senior Designer at NIKKIE/NP Fashion B.V.
Andrea was a great manager who gives very clear direction. As a sweater designer, I find her very innovative. Andrea has excellent presentation skills and a good eye for current trends.